Thursday, April 06, 2006

Things that suck: RCN's helpdesk

So, for the past few months, RCN has been showing these unintentionally hysterical commercials, hosted by Jim O'Connor. Jim takes people through some "simple" steps to get the most out of your RCN broadband connection. Sounds good, right? This commercial is directly aimed at the over-50 crowd - you know, the ones that are calling them all the time, bugging them about technical issues, such as "I can't open the pictures my daughter sent me."

The first commercial they released talked about setting up email. He makes it sound very simple at first...then you realise after about 8 steps, you've stopped listening. He goes through about 15 steps in 30 seconds, all in rapid-fire format - the whole time having this cheery-sounding voice that seems to beckon, "See? See how easy this is? See?" Must I remind you, it's a 60-second commercial? I'm guessing someone over 50 isn't really going to get much value out of these complete wastes of time.

The best one, by far, is the one where Jim takes us through the steps of power cycling your modem. Man, all you people with Comcast, you have no idea what you're missing. If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, please respond!

6 comments:

Andy said...

I have no idea what you're talking about but it's Friday so I'm going to respond anyway.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone ever know what you're talking about?

Patterson said...

Dude. You have to see this commercial. I'm DVRing it.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS...THIS COMMERCIAL IS SO BAD THAT I DID A GOOGLE SEARCHED FOR IT!

Anonymous said...

I love those commercials. Where did you find that picture of "J to the Izzo" holding a mug? Check it out! Here he is hanging out with B.B. King:

http://www.ittvonline.com/images/it-shows/dynamic/large/large_43.jpg

Anonymous said...

Better?

http://www.ittvonline.com/images/
it-shows/dynamic/large/large_43.jpg