Friday, October 13, 2006

Things that don't suck: Happy endings

Back on September 13, I posted a link to a story about Tim Cahill, a kid from Southie who was the victim of a brutal crime that was intended for someone else. I was psyched to see an article in today's Herald that details the aftermath; Tim went through invasive surgery, getting 25 staples in his chest & torso, but it seems as if he's turned out well - he's alive, and not only that - he's already giving back:
After the endless supply of food, flowers, cards and prayer medals, those teens who conducted a vigil at BMC for their mentor asked what else they could do.
“That’s when we thought that a blood drive might be a great a idea,” Maureen Cahill said.
Tim smiled from underneath his baseball cap and softly said, “I needed some way to give back the blood I stole,” he chuckled, “or like my nurse, Patty Harrison put it, ‘The blood I borrowed.’ ”
So, this afternoon, as a way of thanking the community that surrounded him in such life and guided him home on a sea of prayers, Tim Cahill will be at the South Boston Neighborhood House’s Doc and Mary Tynan Senior Center at 136 H Street, at the corner of H and E Sixth streets, to preside over a blood drive.

It's encouraging to me to know that people like this exist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The blood I borrowed"
What the heck does that mean? Does he have to give it back? Im sure the Red Cross isnt that strict yet.

Patterson said...

He's donating blood at the blood drive.