Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Things that suck: DVR overload

Okay, so just to preface this, I made a terrible call earlier this year when I gave a positive review of the HBO show, "Lucky Louie". I said it didn't suck. It sucked. It had lots of potential - it was edgy, different - seemed to have a soul. Then Louie used the word "c_nt" in a show about 50 times. Sucky Louie.

I am watching too many goddamn shows this year, and it's all because of my DVR. I love my DVR, but it's making me watch too much TV. This year, there seems to be more 24-like serial TV shows that require you to remember the details from the previous episode.

I'm having a hard time with two shows in particular: Kidnapped, starring Timothy Hutton, and Vanished. Both shows center around a kidnapping. One is a senator's wife; the other, a rich businessman's son. Both feature an older guy with a gun, who is trying to kill off major characters. I got them confused while watching Vanished last night. My wife was asking about the guy's motives, and I said, "Well, he killed the daughter's roommate, and noone seems to notice." There's a good reason for that. Wrong show.

So, I've given up on Kidnapped. I might keep recording them, and watch them at the end of the year or something. But my brain is fried from too much TV. Here are some quick reviews of the shows I DVR on just Monday:

Monday:

8PM - The Class
. A+
This is the best comedy, bar-none, on TV right now, and if you're missing it, you're missing the beginning of the next Friends. The difference? This show was funny from the start. Friends took awhile for the characters to grow on you. There is at least one side-splitting moment in each of the first three shows.
Note: Watch the pilot episode - it sets everything up - the jokes are much funnier when put into context.

8:30PM - How I Met Your Mother.
B-
This show is getting funnier, but these actors suck at playing drunk. I mean, horrible. Which is probably why they're never drunk at the bar they frequent, which is good. Probably the same reason nobody was ever drunk at Cheers. Doogie Howser is hi-lar-i-ous. Or should I say, "Legendary." The whole Ted-Robin storyline bores me to death.

9PM - Vanished. B
A big development happened this week that raised the grade from B-. The character actors in place seem authentic, which is huge for me.

10PM - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. A
The only thing I don't like about this show is the fact that Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are going to end up splitting votes for Best Actor in a Drama, and neither will win. Superbly acted, and the storylines are fascinating.

Others:
Two and a Half Men. A. Never not funny. The kid is a riot.
The New Adventures of Old Christine. B+. Julia Louis-Dreyfus has more of a personality this year.
CSI Miami. B+. David Caruso should be thanking South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone for unintentionally reviving his career back in 1996. He's great as Horacio Cane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do feel you pain - although I think the DVR just makes us watch TV effeciently (eg FF thru commercials)

BTW - NPH needs his own show. And he needs a buddy comedy movie stat. Can we get him, Vince and Owen together soon? Please?