Friday, October 20, 2006

Things that suck: RCN

You won't believe the customer service nightmare going on over at RCN - and it's not just for me, it's for all RCN customers in the Boston area.

Recently, RCN upgraded the firmware (software that resides on your cable box) for all of their customers in the Boston area. There's a new menu, upgraded browsing options, etc.

I have a DVR, which allows you to record & save programming, and pause live television. RCN charges their customers an additional $15/month for this service. In the process of the firmware upgrade, they wiped all existing programming from everyone's DVR. In addition, I was not able to use my DVR for a week.

Okay, now while that sounds pretty bad...wait until you hear this.

I called RCN to find out what was wrong with my service, and an automated voice greeted me, telling me that the wait times were in excess of 60 minutes. I figured, "Okay, there's probably a lot of people expeiencing the same problem, and they're working on a solution." 3 days later, after no such solution appeared, I called again. I was told then that my wait time would be in excess of 71 minutes. I waited on the phone for 45 minutes, and gave up.

Two days after that, I called, attempting to cancel my service. In order to cancel my existing service, I was told that my expected wait time would be 60 minutes. I waited on the phone for 35 minutes, thinking that my luck would change, that someone might pick up the phone a bit sooner, to no avail. The next day, I called again, same deal. I called again minutes later, this time choosing the option for "Adding new service or enhancing current services." Within minutes, I was greeted by a friendly customer service agent. In order to cancel service:


  • I could not visit a local RCN dropoff point, where they would be making me drop off my equipment after cancellation.
  • I could not cancel my service through this particular department.
  • I could not cancel my service online.
  • I could not cancel my service in writing.
  • I could only cancel my service through the automated telephone system, between the hours of 8am-5pm.



Essentially, they are telling me that I can only cancel my service if I call the local call center from work, and wait over an hour on the phone to speak with someone (mind you, the local call center is in Pennsylvania - not so local). I am not being offered a refund for my DVR service. And the only way to speak with someone is if I'm willing to pay for additional services.

I'm sure I'm not the only person experiencing this terrible service. RCN needs to treat their customers better than this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have RCN too, and it's terrible. So, no, you're not the only one. I'm switching to Comcast this month.

Andy said...

Sounds like a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen. Failing to provide service, failing to let you cancel service, and failing to provide a refund? That's basically theft, right?

I've been hoping to get RCN out here just so we could have some healthy competition, but I guess I should be careful what I wish for. Comcast is too expensive, and the technicians have admitted to me that Motorola is supplying them with unreliable hardware and there's nothing they can do about it, but at least the customer service is responsive. Whenever I have a problem they come right out and replace the box no questions asked.

If we can just hang on another few years I think the Internet will solve this problem for us.

Milne said...

I liked RCN when I lived in Somerville, but they had just come into the market so the service was really good. We need RCN in the city as well just for the competition standpoint.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you can thank them for Jim O'Connor.

Anonymous said...

Paul Says, RCN will not let me cancel my service. I've been trying since August 2nd, 2007 and I still can't get through. I've changed services. Now let them come and collect their money!! Good Luck RCN customers.

Unknown said...

RCN customer service is horrible!

Unknown said...

I called the 1-877-726-2455 customer service, and the agent asked for my name, address, and phone number for 4 times. the person asked me to hold for a few minutes, then again a few minutes, again a few minutes, then aske what help I need, I said I am asking to cancel service, it said: oh, we are going to close, please call again next week. what a shit service!

It wasted me 20 minutes on the phone, and nothing solved. when i was on phone, i hear that continuous chatting, laughing from the RCN side in background.

It's horrible.

It's horrible!